Friday 22 April 2022

Canonical have announced the release of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)

For the last few years I've respun various ISOs to support running Ubuntu, Ubuntu flavours and Ubuntu-based distros on mini PCs by specifically addressing the issue of those devices that use restrictive bootloaders including 32-bit GRUB.

I've relied on donations to support my work and cover development and storage costs. Recently these have been few and far between indicating that the demand for such ISOs is not there.
As a result I'm reducing the number of ISOs I provide and only offer some examples of how my 'isorespinner.sh' script works.




With Canonical announcing the latest release of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish) I’ve respun the desktop ISO to create an ISO which includes support for Intel Atom devices as well as any other 64-bit (x86-64/AMD64) PC:

linuxium-ubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64.iso (-i ubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64.iso -b GRUB-32 -l rtl8723bs_4.12.0_amd64.deb -f linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh -f wrapper-linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh -f linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh -f wrapper-linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh -c wrapper-linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh -c wrapper-linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh)




I've also respun Lubuntu:

linuxium-lubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64.iso (-i lubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64.iso -b GRUB-32 -l rtl8723bs_4.12.0_amd64.deb -f linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh -f wrapper-linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh -f linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh -f wrapper-linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh -c wrapper-linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh -c wrapper-linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh)




Finally for the adventurous few wanting to try the new Ubuntu desktop installer I've respun the desktop ISO (jammy-desktop-canary-amd64.iso version 20220418.1) with a set of options I found prevent​ed​ ​both ​freezing during installation and ​also ​running out of memory when creating a new 'initramfs' on Intel Atom devices:

linuxium-20220418.1-ubuntu-jammy-desktop-canary-amd64.iso (-i jammy-desktop-canary-amd64.iso -b GRUB-32 -g intel_idle.max_cstate=1 -g fsck.mode=skip -p lz4 -c "sed -i 's/^COMPRESS=zstd/COMPRESS=lz4/' /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf")


Downloading Note

After downloading an ISO file it is recommended to test that the file is correct and safe to use by verifying the integrity of the downloaded file. An error during the download could result in a corrupted file and trigger random issues during the usage of the ISO.

The program 'md5sum' is designed to verify data integrity using the MD5 (Message-Digest algorithm 5) 128-bit cryptographic hash. The MD5 calculation gives a checksum (called a hash value), which must equal the MD5 value of a correct ISO.

First open a terminal and go to the correct directory to check a downloaded ISO. Then run the command 'md5sum <ISO>' for example:

md5sum linuxium-ubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64.iso

'md5sum' should then print out a single line after calculating the hash:

db4bc3918a95f54d6374f06d6d09316c  linuxium-ubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64.iso

Compare the hash (the alphanumeric string on left) from your output with the corresponding hash below. If both hashes match exactly then the downloaded file is almost certainly intact. However if the hashes do not match then there was a problem with the download and you should download the file again.

ISO 'md5sum' hashes:

v1.0.0:
db4bc3918a95f54d6374f06d6d09316c  linuxium-ubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64.iso
2512e8241cee853472bbad639b2cbc6e  linuxium-20220418.1-ubuntu-jammy-desktop-canary-amd64.iso
4743a3fb5fddfef89c981fcbfac7aee0  linuxium-lubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64.iso
v1.0.1:
0bab6914628260917c70c79331e2e171  linuxium-lubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64.iso


Please donate if you find these ISOs useful.

28 comments:

Uomo Ragno said...

It cannot boot on an Minix Z64A, even with nomodeset grub option, during textual boot the screen shows mang moving coloured lines and contiunes so.

Linuxium said...

Which ISO?

Uomo Ragno said...

your Lubuntu ISO https://url.linuxium.com.au/latest-atom-lubuntu_22_04_iso

Linuxium said...

I've tested the ISO on a couple of 32-bit mini PCs and it boots without issue. Do you have another mini PC you can try it on?

Unknown said...

Im having trouble because all this isos show the battery oversized and not charging, only discharging. Other images charge. How can I solve it?

Linuxium said...

The battery display is linked to a kernel module for example the 'axp288_fuel_gauge' kernel module typically used on Atom processors. These ISOs likely show a different battery display as the kernel version is different to those you have previously used.

ópticageek said...

I Ian, thanks for your work.
Do you think your script is suitable for zorin OS 16 (based on Ubuntu)?

Device compute stick 2.

Thank you!

Linuxium said...

No. Use my 'treetoobitiso.sh' and 'treetoobit.sh' scripts from https://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2022/05/adding-32-bit-grub-bootloader-to-boot.html as these work with Zorin OS.

Iers Kleinvee said...

Hello Linuxium,

I just wanna say thank you for releasing these iso's and your overall efforts in making these distro's more accessible to the Intel Atom using linux n00bs. Cheers!!

Rickus said...

Hi , thank you for the respun iso.
I have an intel compute stick, the ubuntu install went fine but the pc cannot boot - it says that cherry trail support has been disabled during compile?

Linuxium said...

Which ISO did you use and what is the exact error message as I've not seen anything like this before?

Rickus said...

Hi , this is on linuxium-lubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64

Rickus said...

After the install, lubuntu and ubuntu will not boot. I have to edit the grub at start up , and then add NOMODESET in order for it to but.
If remove nomodeset and remove quiet splash i see this error message where it stalls.

Also , when i have booted into lubuntu and ubuntu the sound card only lists as DUMMY OUTPUT.

Linuxium said...

@Rickus: I just downloaded the 'linuxium-lubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64' ISO from the link above and performed a clean (full disk) installation on an Intel Compute Stick (STK1AW32SC) whilst connected to WiFi and both the installation and subsequent boot worked without issue. Could you try to perform the installation again as possibly the distro package sources were not current or out-of-sync in some way?

Rickus said...

Ok thank you. I will. Side note : I am from South Africa, our compute stick is sold as a MECER PC EXTREME S01+C.
It has a intel Z8350 processor vs your version of Z8330.
Could this be an issue ?

Linuxium said...

@Rickus: The processor is very similar and should not pose any issues. Hopefully with a fresh and clean install it should now work.

user_112 said...

hey Linixium!

i've been on a bit of a journey researching suitable SBCs for a portable workstation computer, and i eventually landed on the Lattepanda 3 Delta. based on post-purchase reading, it seems "linux compatible" doesn't necesarily equate to ease of installation! but these ISOs look like they'll get things rolling from the jump, and i'll be trying one out this week. thank you for the hard work.

that said — are you accepting custom ISO orders? ;) i'm afraid even the lighter Lubuntu is going to strain precious resources (based on zero real-life evidence, i should say), and if i had knowledge outside of installing Ubuntu via usb on a secondary laptop and poking at it occasionally, i'd give it an honest shot myself... as it stands, i'm afraid of bricking something somewhere along the line at worst, or spinning my wheels for hours trying to terminal my way through it at best. but this respun ISO method / atom compatibility on Arch/Archbang/Archcraft (is perhaps/absolutely wishful rice-guided thinking) or even Ubuntu server could be a nice barebones starting point. i also realize (or am foolishly hopeful) that i could start with Lubuntu here and over time sculpt it into the lean mean tiled wm machine i see in my dreams.

alright, coffee's kicking in. any thoughts on whether that's in the realm of possibility? cheers!

Linuxium said...

@user_112: As the LattePanda 3 Delta is an Intel x86 Jasper Lake Celeron N5105 SBC using a standard Ubuntu or Lubuntu ISO as a 'LiveUSB' should work without issue. Respinning one of these ISOs for this SBC typically would be to either add or remove specific packages or to use a later mainline kernel for example. In theory even a 'server' ISO should work on this SBC although 'server' ISOs tend to be 'install only' so you might consider respinning a desktop ISO to remove the desktop and add some server related packages so that you could run it as a 'LiveUSB' if you wanted.

Bassreflex said...

Are you planning to create an ISO of Linux Puffy?

Luxyyy said...

I tried your ISO on a Aspire SW5-012 (released around 2016). I've tried many others distro and it was a nightmare to get everything in order. Yours works perfectly (Wifi, screen resolution, sound is great except that after I while I got a loud beep in my speaker and I could not stop it til I reboot. I still have to check why. You did a great job mate. .

Linuxium said...

@Bassreflex: By Linux Puffy you mean OpenBSD? If so, then no, as the script is for respinning 'Ubuntu' based ISOs as it makes assumptions about the format of the ISO including directory structure, package manager, command syntax etc. etc.

Bassreflex said...

I'm sorry, I meant Puppy Linux.

Linuxium said...

@Bassreflex: I've just checked Puppy Linux (Compatibility = Ubuntu Focal 64) and the ISO is not suitable for my script as the format of the ISO is not the same as the official Ubuntu ISOs.

Bassreflex said...

Ok, I'm understand, thx for answer

Nelis said...

Thank you for the respun ISO. I used the image to install Ubuntu on my Nexxt V3.0.0 compute stick through the desktop installer. It was tricky since the original system did not allow to boot from a USB. I could change the boot order to UEFI and manually go to the USB drive using FS3: Afterwards I could go to the EFI/boot directory and manually start the efi boot file. After the install I could put Ubuntu back as first option in the boot order. It seems to work fine so far.

Col. Dubois said...

I just found this script/blog so I haven't tried it yet. Just wanted to mention it's incredible.

AC3 said...

Firstly thank you for this. I was able to get Lubuntu up and running on my stck1a32wfc intel compute stick. I am a Linux idiot but thanks to this prebuilt iso I am bringing this back to life.

Question (not a complaint) does anyone have WiFi working on this stick? It uses the realtek wifi/bluetooth card. I am just trying to understand if this is a drover problem, or if this is a me being bad at linux problem. The OS does recognize my wifi network but whenever I click on it is says connection lost. I did enter the password properly from the advanced network configuration menu. I have hardwire ethernet running for connection, and I did update by apt-get update.

Linuxium said...

@AC3: Try disabling the “Fast Startup” option in “Shutdown Settings” in Windows' “Control Panel" if dual-booting.

Post a Comment