Tuesday 18 February 2020

Canonical have announced a new point release for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS - 18.04.4 (Bionic Beaver)


Canonical have released the fourth point release of Ubuntu 18.04 Long-Term Support (LTS) as Ubuntu 18.04.4.

I’ve respun the desktop ISO using my ‘isorespin.sh‘ script and created ISOs suitable for Intel Atom and Intel Apollo Lake devices:

Atom (-i ubuntu-18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso --atom)
Apollo (-i ubuntu-18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso --apollo)


Downloading Note

After downloading an ISO file it is recommended to test that the file is correct and safe to use by verifying the integrity of the downloaded file. An error during the download could result in a corrupted file and trigger random issues during the usage of the ISO.

The program 'md5sum' is designed to verify data integrity using the MD5 (Message-Digest algorithm 5) 128-bit cryptographic hash. The MD5 calculation gives a checksum (called a hash value), which must equal the MD5 value of a correct ISO.

First open a terminal and go to the correct directory to check a downloaded ISO. Then run the command 'md5sum <ISO>' for example:
md5sum linuxium-atom-ubuntu-18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso
'md5sum' should then print out a single line after calculating the hash:

d73fd13a4bf1c130b9e38d80ab453026 ./linuxium-atom-ubuntu-18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso

Compare the hash (the alphanumeric string on left) from your output with the corresponding hash below. If both hashes match exactly then the downloaded file is almost certainly intact. However if the hashes do not match then there was a problem with the download and you should download the file again.


ISO 'md5sum' hashes

d73fd13a4bf1c130b9e38d80ab453026 ./linuxium-atom-ubuntu-18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso
a9f0e931ae3a84efda6ef13f7cdf7240 ./linuxium-apollo-ubuntu-18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso


Please donate if you find these ISOs useful.

25 comments:

FalloutNewNarwhal said...

Installed the Atom build on Linx 1010b, worked great but the auto rotate was inverted (Google search suggested that it was a kernel issue). So I eventually decided to respin a rolling release of 20.04. Works great, fixed the issue. It in google drive if you want a link? Cheers

Linuxium said...

That is good to know. Can you post the command you used so that others can respin themselves?

Dr eGPU said...

I'm trying to respin 18.04 with just a kernel upgrade (not for Atom CPU's or anything), but the script can't seem to find mainline kernels whether or not I choose the latest or input a specific version (v5.5.9 for example). What am I missing here?

Dr eGPU said...

I'm not sure why the following can't find the kernels:

isorespin.sh -i ubuntu-18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso -k v5.5.9

Linuxium said...

I've tried the example you provide and do not have a problem. Can you check you are on the latest version (isorespin.sh --check) and make sure you are running version 8.4.3. If you still get an error can you use 'pastebinit' to post a link to the actual message together with the 'isorespin.log' contents?

Campbell said...

Any chance of adding support to isorespin for Ubuntu Server? I'd like to use it as the base for a Kodi install on my STCK1A8LFCL.

Linuxium said...

Please see my latest post (http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2020/04/creating-and-installing-server-respun.html) on how to respin a desktop ISO as a server ISO and then how to install the server ISO.

gago said...

Hello
on ainol mini pc 2 live usb works, connected to sharp 40 "hdmi FHD image and sound ok but after a few minutes the screen is frozen, the mouse does not work or the keyboard does not work, I tried several of your versions of Ubuntu and I do not know why this happens :(

Linuxium said...

Try adding 'intel_idle.max_cstate=1' as a boot parameter by editing GRUB with 'e' prior to booting and then use 'ctrl' 'x' or F10 to boot and see if it makes any difference (see 'Kernel freezes' in my documentation).

gago said...

quiet splash intel_idle.max_cstate=1 ---
I added the + F10 lines, the screen with the beaver starts, but nothing is there :(

gago said...

I added the entry again but without --- in the end
quiet splash intel_idle.max_cstate = 1
still empty desktop, works only when I click on the desktop right mouse button and there options - new folder ... open terminal

gago said...

I had to get to the dock and switch to Sharp corporation 37 ", and the dock appeared on the desktop

gago said...

wifi + lan ok, but the system worked very slowly, firefox could not be opened, but it worked 30min ok and it froze, maybe someday some good version of linux for this chinese ainol mini pc2 will come out

gago said...

"Suspend/Hibernate/Sleep issues

Suspend in general has been problematic on Intel Atom devices and while new patches are continually being applied to the mainline kernel it is currently not working or incorrectly working on a number of devices."

and I know everything now :)

Linuxium said...

Enter the boot parameter without spaces i.e. intel_idle.max_cstate=1

gago said...

https://imgur.com/pxtt07l.png ok ?

gago said...

my friend had no spaces and it didn't help :(

Linuxium said...

Which ISO are you using? I would probably try running Lubuntu on the device as it has quite a low-powered CPU and only 2GB RAM according to the specs online.

gago said...

I tried your ubuntu rewritten for the atom, Lubuntu I did not find the rewritten for the atom, so I downloaded from the original site Lubuntu x64 iso and added the program ultraIiso bootia x32 to EFI / boot, I downloaded so and ran many linux distributions, but most of it did not work well, it was missing task bar or no lan :(

gago said...

or blank desktop :(

Linuxium said...

Have you tried respinning the Lubuntu x64ISO you downloaded with the '--atom' option?

gago said...

isorespin.sh --> unfortunately dear friend I tried several times but it doesn't work out for me, that's why I used the ready iso from https://distrowatch.com/, I don't know programming linux, I'm probably too old already :)

Linuxium said...

What errors do you get when trying to respin using 'isorespin.sh'? You could even try respinning in a VM on Windows (see 'Running the script on Windows' in my documentation).

gago said...

I have never used a virtual machine, thank you for your interest in my problem, as someday a ready version of Lubuntu will be available for atom please let me know, I will gladly download and test, thank you and best regards :)

Linuxium said...

See my latest post (https://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2020/04/canonical-have-announced-release-of.html) as I've included a link where you can download the latest release of Lubuntu (20.04) respun for an 'Atom' device.

Post a Comment