Thursday, 22 December 2016

Updated Xenial Kernel 4.4.0-57.78 Upgrade Script

UpdateThis page refers to earlier work and my latest ISOs and kernel upgrade scripts can be downloaded from my latest post.

I've upgraded my Xenial kernel upgrade script in line with the latest Ubuntu Xenial kernel.

To upgrade your kernel first download the shell script for the kernel version you require and after making it executable (enter 'chmod 755 <script>') you can install it as 'root' (by entering 'sudo <script>'). Once the script has finished executing the device will need to be rebooted to use the updated (patched) kernel.

4.4.0-57.78 (superseded)

7 comments:

  1. You mean 4.4.0.57? ;) Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can other kernel use this script?
    I just install deepin(debian base,kernel 4.40) on my z8300 tablet,but lack of some drivers.I don't want to make the kernel again.
    So can I use this script to fix the drivers problems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use the script on a Debian based distro to upgrade your existing kernel without installing my ISO however you will be missing firmware and other configuration files which may be required by some of the audio, wifi and bluetooth drivers. Also your userspace applications may have dependencies on kernel configs that are not enabled in my kernel. So basically YMMV.

      Delete
  3. I'm running a very stable Xubuntu 16.04 on my 8GB/1GBRAM Intel Stick thanks to a previous post of yours from some months ago. Don't understand much about kernels and how they work, just that you kernel modifications include the proprietary drivers for WiFi and HDMI Audio. This update should be the right one for my 16.04 isn't it? What would happen if I use the Zesty you posted more recently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this update (as in the Xenial series) is the right one for your 16.04 installation. There is probably no point in installing a Zesty kernel if everything already works for you are there is always a risk that you'll end up missing firmware or configuration files. Canonical address this through LTS Enablement Stacks, Rolling HWE Kernels and Point Releases. Understanding releases and upgrades is often miss-understood as the following post illustrates: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2334371. Basically you should upgrade your kernel to benefit from bug fixes and more importantly security patches.

      Delete
  4. Could you please update the xenal kernel to 4.4.0-59.80? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete