Sunday 2 October 2016

Ubuntu 16.10 Beta 2 for Intel Baytrail and Cherrytrail Devices

UpdateThis work is superseded by my 'isorespin.sh' script which can respin an official ISO suitable for use on Intel Atom devices.

I've decided to re-spin my Ubuntu 16.10 Beta 2 ISO with a kernel that supports HDMI audio and wifi on any Intel Baytrail or Cherrytrail device. The kernel and ISO were developed for Intel Compute Sticks and this version hasn't been extensively tested on multiple devices simply due to the fact that I don't own them! As your mileage may vary depending upon device there are two options available.

The first option is to download my ISO and write to a USB (use 'Rufus' on Windows or 'dd' on Linux). You can then try Ubuntu and/or perform a fresh installation.

Ubuntu 16.10 Beta 2 ISO


The second option is to download just my kernel and upgrade your existing installation. First download the shell script and after making it executable (enter 'chmod 755 linuxium-install-yakkety-kernel-4.8.0-14-linuxium-linuxium.sh') you can install it as 'root' (by entering 'sudo ./linuxium-install-yakkety-kernel-4.8.0-14-linuxium-linuxium.sh'). Note that the disadvantage of this approach is that you will need to find and install the wifi firmware files in order to get wifi working on a Baytrail device. This is something I can look at fixing later.

Additionally I've released an upgraded kernel: 4.8.0-17.19 called 'linuxium-install-yakkety-kernel-4.8.0-17-linuxium-linuxium.sh' which can be downloaded for those wishing to be on the very latest release. Another thing I can look at removing is the abundance of the text 'linuxium' at a later stage.

Acknowledgements: Canonical Ltd. (Ubuntu), Pierre-Louis Bossart (HDMI audio), Linuxium (v4.8 HDMI audio), Daniel Bilik (C-state), Bastien Nocera (WiFi) and Larry Finger (Bluetooth).

17 comments:

Brad said...

One guy on the TechTablets forum using a Chuwi Hi10 (Atom Z8300) tablet with rtl8723bs wifi NIC says that Wifi+BT is working from Live-USB boot but wifi is not working after install. Any ideas there? ...
http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/linux-mint-on-a-chuwi-hi10-tablet/page/22/#post-52651

Brad said...

Btw, this is a big step forward for these guys using these inexpensive Chinese Cherry-Trail tablets. It's the first time I have seen the Wifi working from USB boot and the first time I've seen BT working at all. Keep up the great work. I've actually been trying to help get the goodix touchscreen driver working but am roadblocked at the moment not knowing how to create the firmware file. Bug thread if you're at all interested. https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=156511

Brad said...

One report from a Chuwi tablet user just now that the goodix touchscreen module is not present in your distro which it normally is.
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=223426&p=1223899#p1223880

Brad said...

correction... trying to get the goodix_backport driver working.

Brad said...

Looks like the problem was the missing firmware files for the rtl8723bs wifi module after installing.

Linuxium said...

That is because the ISOs were originally developed for the Intel Compute Sticks where only Z3735F based deveices use RTL8723BS and Z8300 etc devices would use Intel wifi. I'll have to change that for the next release.

Linuxium said...

I haven't taken anything out so if something is not present in my ISO/kernel then it won't be present in the official Ubuntu ISO/kernel. Conversely is not true as I've added HDMI audio, wifi and bluetooth.

Matej Kovacic said...

Hi,

I tried 16.04.1 LTS image from Linuxium website (https://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2016/10/running-ubuntu-on-intel-bay-trail-and.html) and I can confirm HDMI audio, ethernet and wifi works out of the box. However, Bluetooth does not work.

I downloaded ISO image and have written it to USB with mkusb application (Under Ubuntu Linux).

I tried this on PCG02U Stick PC by MeLE company (on Aliexpress it is called Fanless Ubuntu 14.04 Intel PC Stick Star Cloud PCG02U Mini PC Bay Trail Z3735F 2GB DDR3 32GB eMMC HDMI LAN WiFi).

I also tried Ubuntu 16.10 Beta 2, but it does not boot.

Regards, M.

Matej Kovacic said...

And also one additional info. I tried to enable Bluettoh with lwfinger Github code.

Unfortunately, there are some problems:
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8723bs_bt/issues/13

Unknown said...

Just a fyi I had to add add xforcevesa to the grub options to be able to boot with getting a perma black screen on my cherrytrail tablet from cube. Theres a new driver from intel released on the 23 Nov for Ubuntu 16.10 for intel video cards. I thought you may be interested its at intels site. https://01.org/linuxgraphics

Linuxium said...

Please see my latest post (https://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com.au/2016/10/running-ubuntu-on-intel-bay-trail-and.html) and my latest Ubuntu 17.04 Alpha 131216 ISO (https://goo.gl/B1L3pj) as this contains the latest HDMI LPE audio driver which is currently upstream.

Unknown said...

Thanks Again I found out how to get the wifi working on the cherry's The bluetooth on the 8723bs works fine but no wifi. I have a iwork10 and the wifi did not work. It seems the fix is to go into the bios and Change South Bridge/ LPSS & SCC CONFIGURATION/ SCC SDIO Support = changed acpi to PCI then saved and exit. After reboot, wifi working!

I used your kubuntu 16.10 with the 17.04 kernel and the intel os video drivers and everything except the sd card and audio.
Thanks for the great work tekcomm

Linuxium said...

Try my 17.04 Alpha 131216 ISO as you should find wifi (RTL8723BS) will work.

sanjeev said...

I tried linuxium ubuntu 16.10 in my Baytrail tablet through live USB, but it is booting to black screen. Same behaviour I see with the linuxium 16.04.1.

Linuxium said...

Try my 17.04 Alpha 131216 ISO and give it at least 60 seconds to boot as there is a longer delay before the splash screen appears compared to the standard ISO.

sanjeev said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sanjeev said...

Hi Linuxium, Thankyou very much for your response, I tried booting with your 17.04 Alpha release, but still I am getting black screen. I modified the grup setting by removing "quiet splash ---" and adding "nomodeset" kernel parameter. with this configuration the console logs come for a while and immediately goes off turning the screen to blank. Every time I am waiting for sufficient time(5-10 minutes) for boot.

Note : I am able to boot through linuxium 14.04.3 with nomodeset. But nothing working for me with this version(wifi, bluetooth, touch, audio, accelerometer).

Am I missing any grup configuration to boot with the 17.04 release?

Post a Comment